Our connection with forests has reduced to mere tourism. Large scale plantation of exotic plant species is harmful to our forests. ‘Devrais’ (sacred groves), which are reserved forests for local deities in mythology, are vanishing too. Privately owned forests are falling prey to the greed of trade and profit. We have almost left behind the tradition and will to nurture, conserve forests and maintain our bond with them.
There are a few nature lovers like you wanting to reverse the trend of destruction. It’s extremely important to build a network of such concerned citizens and organizations to reduce the pace of destruction. ‘Sahyadri Nisarg Mitra’ (Sahyadri) has conceptualized “My Jungle” supported by such a network. SNM proposes to implement this concept across various sites to instill the sense of conservation among the people at large & to develop such self-motivated pockets of forest, both in quality and number. Such forests will be open to all nature lovers. People will be expected to shoulder the responsibility of conservation, monitoring and documentation. This would attach us back to the forests. Think these forests as living laboratories to connect people to the nature. Local people will also be engaged in conservation activities through SNM’s principle of ‘Livelihood Through Nature Conservation’.
SNM looks forward to conserve forest on 300 acres of land in a year which would be extended to 1000 acres in the next 3 years. Group of experts have shortlisted a place after studying villages along the Western Ghats based on the following parameters -
Legality - Owner's permission, Availability of all papers and minimum names on 7/12 Location - Adjacent to Western Ghats Road - About 35 Kms from Chiplun and last 1-1.5 Km walking Usage - Private Forest Water - Possibility of water source in land Rate - INR 50,000.00 per acre We appeal you to join us and be a member of ‘My Jungle’.
While implementing this concept, Sahyadri would strictly adhere to the following principles.
90% of the land will only be used for the sole purpose of forest conservation. Keeping the local biodiversity and land form in mind, experts will select varieties of plants.
Around 5% land will be used for experiments and trials.
The remaining 5% will be used for forest generated products to make the program self-sustainable.
- Local people will be involved in the conservation activities. They will be encouraged to retain land, expand the forest cover in their own terrains and generate revenue through tourism development as well. They will be trained for cultivating medicinal plants and some other plants like Gum Karaya. This would mainly be done in order to retain the forest cover on private estate and prevent deterioration by selling land for other activities.
- Sahyadri will own this land. Active participation in conserving one acre of forest will be a member's pride and inspiration for others.
Forest conservation fund:
- SNM plans to raise fund of Rs. 2 crore for forest conservation and related activities
- This "Forest Conservation Fund" will be used only towards forest conservation activities, additional land purchase under ‘My Jungle’ concept or repaying any loans raised for this program.
- All contributions by new participants for this initiative would also be pooled to the same fund.
- All donations from India will receive tax benefit under the section 80G.
- This contribution will be awarded with an appreciation certificate and participants’ contribution will be acknowledged with all details on the website.
Nature lovers can can participate in plantation and other ongoing conservation activities.
Modest accommodation will be arranged here for people participating in any of the on-going projects with prior permission.
- Yearly audit of this project will be posted on website
- Committee of 7/9/11 participants will be appointed to participate in managing the project