Turtle festival is arranged by Forest Department, Village Panchayat, Kasav Mitramandal. Please call at respective villages directly to know about the festival dates and other details.
- Sahyadri Nisarga Mitra (SNM) started Marine turtle conservation first time in Maharashtra.
- In the year 2002 SNM started actual protection work for Olive Ridley (Lepidochelys olivacea) in Velas, a tiny village on northernmost boundary of district Ratnagiri. Within a short span of time, SNM spread the protection work to entire coast of Maharashtra state, that's about 720 km of coastline in all.
- 1st year, SNM undertook protection work in 1 village and successfully protected 50 nests.
- SNM with its limited resources is trying its level best to protect marine turtles and empower villagers.
- Local people make turtle festival arrangements.
- For more details about Velas please call any Homestay owner on this link - Contact Numbers of Homestay at Kasav Mitra Mandal, Velas. Please note that these numbers are very difficult to connect.
- SNM empowered villagers by starting Velas Homestay to host the tourists visiting during Turtle Festival in 2006.
- Turtle festival is an opportunity for metro-tourists to bid best wishes to the newly born sea turtle hatchlings while crawling towards their home.
|Pune - Velas||Pimpri||09.30||Velas||17.30|
|Velas - Pune||Velas||06.45||Swargate (Pune)||13.30|
|Mumbai - Velas||Mumbai||12.30||Velas||20.00|
|Velas - Mumbai||Velas||06.30||Mumbai||12.30|
|Mumbai - Velas||Mumbai||00.30||Velas||06.30|
|Velas - Mumbai||Velas||09.00||Mumbai||15.00|
|Ratnagiri - Velas||Ratnagiri||16.15||Velas||22.30|
|Velas - Ratnagiri||Velas||05.00||Ratnagiri||11.00|
|Dapoli - Velas||Dapoli||14.50||Velas||17.30|
|Velas - Dapoli||Velas||07.30||Dapoli||10.30|
|Mandangad - Velas||Mandangad||08.10||Velas||09.15|
|Velas - Mandangad||Velas||09.30||Mandangad||10.30|
Page 2 of 3